Visit Contractor Nation

Bookmark and Share

Mold Troubles

Moldy WallMold is a bothersome little problem that can appear anywhere in your home. Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye, but once water comes into the picture they can grow into potentially toxic substances. If you have mold growing in your home, your best bet is to have a specialist remove it so that no one in your family has to deal with allergies.

The Environmental Protection Agency writes that mold begins as spores flying through the air. Mold can easily enter homes this way and if there are any spots with water in your home, the mold spores can begin to grow in the water.

Once mold is grown it can cause health problems for anyone around it. The EPA writes that molds produce allergens, irritants and, sometimes, potentially toxic substances. When you touch or inhale mold it can cause an allergic reaction. Allergic mold reactions can range from annoying sneezing, running nose, red eyes and skin rash to full-out asthma attacks. Mold can affect the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs of anyone living in a house with it, whether they normally suffer from allergies or not.

 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention write that mold can be found both indoors and out all-year round. Outside, mold can be found in dark and damp areas, or places where vegetation is decomposing. Inside, mold can be found anywhere humidity levels are high, such as your basement or shower.

CDC recommends the following methods for keeping mold out of your home:

  • Keep the humidity level in the house between 40% and 60%
  • Use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months
  • Add mold inhibitors to paints before application
  • Clean bathrooms with mold killing products
  • Do not place carpet directly on bathroom or basement floors
  • Quickly remove previously soaked carpets and upholstery

The best way to keep your home healthy and free of allergens is to get rid of water and moisture problems in your home. Then, contact a mold remediation specialist to remove the mold for good. Some products claim to get rid of mold but only do so temporarily.

This article has been read 986 times